Thanksgiving dinner Indian Style
Spice Roasted Chicken
Roasted Chicken for Thanksgiving
1 (5 to 6 pound) whole chicken
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh mint
1 lemon, halved
1 head garlic, crushed into four pieces
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large onion, roughly diced
4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
1 bunch of leeks, tops removed, and cut into wedges
3 teaspoons Garam Masala Powder
2 teaspoons fresh ground ginger
2 teaspoons fresh ground garlic
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Clean and rinse the chicken inside and out, removing any giblets or excess fat. Pat dry with a towel. Apply salt and pepper, ginger, garlic paste, garam masala powders all over the chicken, including under the skin. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of mint, lemon, and garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and leeks in a roasting pan. Sprinkle salt and pepper, olive oil. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is no longer pink when you cut between the leg and thigh. Slice the chicken on a platter along with the roasted vegetables.
Curried Yams in Coconut Milk
Standard yams recipe dressed up Indian style with spices and coconut milk. A whole new dimension to the traditional Thanksgiving side of yams
1 pound yams
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup onion, chopped
2 inches fresh ginger root, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 teaspoon garam masala
½ cup coconut milk
1 cup water
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- Peel yams, cut into one-inch cubes. Steam yams in water until they turn soft (about 20-minutes).
- Heat the oil in a cooking pan over moderate flame. Add cumin seeds, cook for a minute until they roast into a golden brown color. Add chopped ginger, garlic, onion. Cook until the onion turns translucent. Add the garam masala and salt.
- Add steamed yam pieces to the above mixture.
- Add coconut milk and bring to a boil, reduce heat. Simmer covered about 10 minutes or until nearly dry, but still moist. Mash with the back of a spoon.
- Serve warm, garnished with chopped cilantro leaves.
Sweet Yellow Pumpkin Halwa
Halwa refers to a dense, sweet confection, served across the Indian subcontinent. Pumpkin Halwa is a perfect ending to an elaborate Thanksgiving meal.
2 cups grated pumpkin, skin and seeds removed
10 unsalted cashews or pistachios, broken
3 green cardamoms powdered, skins removed
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (ghee)
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
- In a wide-mouthed pan with a lid, heat about 2 teaspoons of ghee (melted butter) and roast the cashews or pistachios and set aside.
- Add two more tablespoons of ghee and grated pumpkin, sauté till the raw smell goes away (about 10 minutes).
- Add milk, cover and cook until the pumpkin turns soft (15 minutes). Stir mixture occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, and honey. Mix and cook until all the moisture evaporates.
- Add remaining ghee and cook until ghee starts to separate (8-10 minutes)
- Add the cashews or pistachios and turn of the heat.
- Serve warm.
Cardamom Pumpkin Pie
Cardamom Pumpkin Pie
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups canned pumpkin, pureed
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg plus 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
4 small pre made pie crusts
Whipped cream, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese with a hand mixer. Add the pumpkin and beat until combined. Add the sugar and salt, and beat until combined. Add the eggs mixed with the yolks, half-and-half, and melted butter, and beat until combined. Finally, add the vanilla, cinnamon, and cardamom, and beat until incorporated.
- Pour the filling into the pie crusts and bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Cool for 10 mins. Top with whipped cream.